God speaks to us through His Word. We all know this is true, and we try to spend time in the Bible, but are we doing enough? Sometimes life and commitments just get in the way. There are many verses about studying the Bible – just not reading, but studying it! If there are so many, it must be pretty important.
I was praying about how to bring this message to you, when the Lord impressed on me to look for a way. When I came across this teaching, I knew instantly that the esteemed pastor, Charles Stanley had hit the nail on the head.
6 BENEFITS OF READING GOD’S WORD
Understanding the Transformative Power of Scripture
By Charles F. Stanley
SEPTEMBER 25, 2016
How important is God’s Word to you? When we humble ourselves before Scripture, acknowledging that it has been given to us by the living God, we will receive the following blessings:
1. God’s Word leads us to salvation. Although many of us came to Christ by hearing about Him from another person, the way of salvation is clearly revealed by simply reading the Bible (John 3:16; Rom. 10:9). We are all saved by believing the truth of Scripture whether we read it ourselves or are taught it by someone else (1 Peter 1:23).
2. The Scriptures guide our steps. Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” If we read and heed the Lord’s instructions, He will show us where to go, what to say, and how to make decisions. His Word also reveals when we’re heading the wrong direction and warns us of the consequences of continuing down that path.
3. God’s Word directs us to wisdom. “The unfolding of Your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple” (Ps. 119:130). Scripture is our greatest protection. It’s like a shield before us, guarding our way and warning of danger. But if we neglect reading and obeying the Word, we won’t be able to distinguish right from wrong.
4. It lifts our burden. Because the Lord is interested in every aspect of our lives, we can run to His Word in our pain, grief, loneliness, or sickness and receive help in our time of trouble (Ps. 119:28).
5. The Word of God brings joy. If we love the Word, we’ll find great joy and comfort in reading it (Ps. 119:111). When facing tough situations and discouragement, our first response will be to open the Scriptures. Even if we don’t know where to read, the Lord will guide us to a passage which can restore our hope and joy. And if we don’t have a Bible with us, He can bring to mind the verses that we’ve stored in our hearts. Once we experience how the Scriptures can change sorrow into joy, our love for the Lord and His Word will increase and overflow in praise and gratitude.
6. The Scriptures give peace. Perhaps the most desired possession in the world is peace, but it can only be found in the Lord. “Those who love Your law have great peace, and nothing causes them to stumble” (Ps. 119:165). Peace means to be bound to something, and when that something is the Word of God, we are bound to Him and experience the peace Jesus promised to His disciples (John 14:27).
God honors and is committed to blessing those who respect and love His precious Word. It is the most valuable possession we own because it is His written message to us. From Genesis to Revelation, God reveals His mind and heart. Everything else will pass away, “but the word of our God stands forever” (Isa. 40:8). The Lord is still on His throne and continues doing what He’s promised in His Word. When we believe and obey it, our lives are transformed.
We all fall short. I know that I do, more often than I’d like. My life is so much more centered when I’m in God’s Word, yet somehow I let the opportunity slip away. Let’s challenge ourselves. Let’s bring this to God and ask Him to help us make a commitment to spend time in His Word every day.
If you’ve enjoyed this article, please take a few moments and visit The Front Porch – the home of all my articles!
You can also follow this link to the next article: WAIT!!
Please take a moment and leave a comment or suggestion for an article.
P.I.C.C., Inc. is in the fourth year. We began as a blog and have now become a nonprofit organization. Our Campaign for 2019 is – PHASE IV Growing the Distance. Please consider a gift to support our efforts to continue being A Beacon of Hope to Inspire, Encourage, Inform, and Engage others.
Come Grow With Us! The acts of kindness we do are made possible
with the support of those who believe that we are the People In Charge of Change.